RSS

Monthly Archives: October 2013

FO Friday 4: Dreambird

Seems like my posts are getting heavy on shawls. Not to break the habit, here comes another one.
Dreambird

I finished my Dreambird. I’ve been eyeing the pattern for a while and decided to go for it right before our road trip this summer. Shawl and car ride seem like a good combination. If I were smarter I would actually finish the first feather before setting on the road. The instructions were way to wordy and lengthy to attempt in the car. That poor shawl (or rather wound balls of yarn) drove with me some 6,000 miles across the United States, then flew with me to Europe, drove another 2,000 miles on our European vacation only to fly back to US without much progress being made.

In Spring we made a trip to NYC. I made my family follow me to Lion Brand Studio, where I got two balls of their LB Mohair Silk yarn. That’s what I used for the main color. For the feathers I spun FatCatKnits Merino Bamboo blend in Buster colorway.

After finishing the first feather, I found it very useful to use only the page with number of stitches for each row (pg. 16). That was I did not need to read through pages of explanations, everything was neatly on one page. My husband commented it looked like some secret code.

I am rather pleased with the result. The two balls of Mohair Silk were enough for “only” 17 feathers. But the shawl is plenty big.

Here is another picture of my Dreambird hugging a tree:

DSCF3769

Advertisements
 
4 Comments

Posted by on October 11, 2013 in Knitting, Spinning

 

Tags: , , , , , ,

FO Friday #3: Botanic BFL hat

DSCF3644 by kpetra
DSCF3644, a photo by kpetra on Flickr.

Happy Friday!

I have lots of projects nearing its completion, but not quite there yet. At least the hat is finished!

I already posted about the yarn I am using – handspun BFL. I had a rough idea what kind of hat I wanted. Then I came across Stephen West’s Botanic Hat. I must admit I did not get the pattern. The hat was easy enough to ┬ádeconstruct. Or rather, just look at the picture, use the stitch and make up the rest.

We live in a fairly cold climate (at least in the winter months) and single brim doesn’t do us any good. Therefore I made a double brim (provisional cast on, knit double the length of the brim, fold in half and knit current stitches with the provisional stitches). I also started on only 88 sts on US5 so that the brim is snug. The crown of the hat is knit over 96 stitches in slipped stitch pattern. The photo on top shows the reverse side.

This is the “right” side:
DSCF3651

Decreases:
DSCF3639

And my little one happily posing for me while reading a book

DSCF3636

 

More details, such as needle size and yardage are on my Ravelry page.

It’s FO friday at tami’s amis. Go check her out!

 

 
5 Comments

Posted by on October 4, 2013 in Uncategorized

 
 
Agujas

The Art of Knitting

NothingButKnit

yeah right.